Collier County Water Safety Day
May 21, 2022
10am – 12pm
Free & Open To The Public!
The YMCA of Collier County wants to ensure that water safety doesn’t get lost as temperatures rise in Collier County!
Water Safety Day will take place at The YMCA of South Collier from 10am – 12pm.
The children will have the chance to partake in each of the following three water safety stations:
Marco Island Fire Rescue Department
- Lesson on “Scene Safety” (i.e. in the case of an emergency, make sure the area around you is safe to be in)
- Calling 911
- Lesson on First Aid – Personal Protective Equipment, cleaning a wound, covering a wound
Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Lesson on proper use of personal floatation devices (lifejackets)
- Lesson on Boater Safety
- Demonstrations in a model boat on boater safety
- 2 members of the Coast Guard Aux. will be in the water and additional members will be on deck
YMCA of Collier County
- Demonstration of “Back to The Wall Protocol” – if you fall in a pool, turn around and reach for the wall
- Demonstrations on treading water, survival floating, and how to save a distressed swimmer without going into the water
- Brief swimming lesson and swim testing
- 2 swim instructors will be in the water and 2 lifeguards will be on deck
Teachers will escort their classes and supervise as “Water Watchers” at the YMCA. Children will need to bring swimsuits and towels.
For more information, please contact Kathryn Stephenson, Aquatics Director
(239) 394-9622 ext. 108